Department Info‎ > ‎

Department History

History


The Russian River Fire Protection District was originally formed as the Guerneville Fire

Protection District in 1922.  In the beginning the department was staffed by volunteers from the community responding from home to the fire station.  In 1980 the District took over the local ambulance and hired its first full time paid personnel.  In 1996 the District officially changed its name and became the Russian River Fire Protection District, more adequately representing the communities that the District serves.     

Our District Today

The Russian River Fire Protection District currently consists of twelve full time personnel, a fire chief, and an administrative assistant.  The paid staff is supplemented by volunteer and intern firefighters. 

The District now covers approximately 20 square miles and serves the populations of
Guerneville, Rio Nido, Oddfellows Park, Vacation Beach, Guernewood Park and the Armstrong Valley.  The Advanced Life Support Ambulance also serves the neighboring areas of Forestville, Monte Rio, Cazadero, Duncan's Mills and Jenner. The District’s Career and Volunteer staff respond to over 1700 calls for service per year.