Volunteers have always been an essential resource for the Russian River Fire Protection District and the citizens we serve. In fact Volunteers served the community for many years before the District hired its first full-time Career Firefighters. Our Volunteers and Interns continue to provide additional staffing in support of the District's career personnel.
While Volunteers are not paid an hourly wage, they do receive a nominal fee for responding to emergencies. Volunteers continually participate in ongoing training with career personnel in order to better serve the community.
If you are interested in Volunteering or Interning please read about the process below and download an application. The Russian River Fire Protection District accepts applications for Interns and Volunteers on an ongoing basis. Please returned completed applications to the Russian River Fire Station or mail to:
Russian River Fire Protection District
P.O. Box 367
Guerneville, CA 95446
Download Volunteer/Intern Application
In District Volunteer
- Must reside in the Fire District
- 24 hour per month commitment (12 hours per month after 18 month probationary period).
- 12 month commitment.
- One 24 hour shift per week.
- Bi-weekly written/manipulative assignments based on CSFM Firefighter 1 curriculum.
- One additional 8 hour training day per month.
- Acquire the education and experience needed for CSFM Firefighter 1 certification.
- Must reside in the Fire District.
- Fundraising and/or clerical duties only.
- 18 Years old.
- High School Diploma/GED
- Valid CDL
- Current DMV Printout
- Minimum First Responder Cert.
- (Internship)- Completion of FF1 Academy or 6 months Volunteer experience.
- Physical Agility Test * (RRFD, CPAT less than 1 year old, or completion of accredited fire academy agility course within the past year.)
- Oral Interview
- Chief’s Interview
- Background Check
- Pre-placement Physical in accordance to NFPA standard. Including but not limited to drug screen, X-Rays, EKG stress test. *
- 60 hour, 3 week in-house fire academy (may be extended at the discretion of the Training Coordinator). *
* Support Volunteers are exempt from the Physical Agility test, 60 hour fire academy, and certain components of the pre-placement physical.