Even with defensible space, fires are still dangerous. When a wildfire occurs near you, be prepared to evacuate.
- Gather important and irreplaceable photos, documents, and heirlooms and put them in your car.
- Gather pets and put them in your car, too.
- Park your car facing out of the garage or in the direction you will be leaving.
- Put flammable deck or patio furniture inside; move all flammable furniture away from windows.
- Close all windows, doors, vents, blinds, and non-flammable window coverings.
- If possible shut off all gas or propane utilities.
- Leave a porch or outside light on.
- Listen to local TV or radio for evacuation news. Local authorities may also notify you by driving through your neighborhood with loudspeakers.
- Leave when asked to do so.